US president Donald Trump has said that Washington will not provide security for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle while the pair are in the United States, and that they must pay for it themselves in line with their change in status.
Trump aired his views on Twitter amid reports that the former royal couple has now moved from Canada to the US.
Trump tweeted: "I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen and the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada.
"Now they have left Canada for the US, however the US will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!"
Harry and Meghan will reside temporarily in the Los Angeles area in Meghan's home state of California.
Up to this stage, the couple and their young son, Archie, had been residing in Canada. However, the Canadian government had already revealed "in keeping with" the couple's "change in status" that it would no longer provide security for them after March 31.
The Telegraph reports that a statement was released on behalf of the couple on Sunday, suggesting that they had no plans to request state-funded security when they arrived in the US.
A spokesperson acting on behalf of the couple said: "The duke and duchess have no plans to ask the US government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made."
The couple's royal status will be officially removed when they step down as senior royals on March 31. The arrangements will be subject to review after one year.